In our latest podcast, KWL US Manager Christine Munroe interviews bestselling author and self-publishing expert Pamela Fagan Hutchins. Pamela has written the book on self-publishing, WHAT KIND OF LOSER INDIE PUBLISHES, AND HOW CAN I BE ONE, TOO? In the summer of 2013, she embarked on a 60-cities-in-60-days book tour, which she organized herself (with the help of her supportive family), so she has plenty of insights and advice for working successfully with bookstores.
Listen in to Episode 020 as Pamela shares her thoughts on:
- Her mission to serve as an exemplary self-published author, in particular when working with bookstores, so they will open the door to fellow writers.
- Stories from the road during her 60-cities-in-60-days book tour, including the day when a book club showed up to her Boston reading… despite tornado warnings!
- Keeping it in the family - her husband, the five children between them, and her mom all joined her on the road to help support her work.
- Looking at self-promotion with a long-term perspective. "I'm hoping for a 10-year return," she says. Pamela recommends focusing on how to build your email list of people who welcome hearing what is next. Also, don't abuse that list - send a maximum of 2-3 updates per year.
- Promotion is 1/3 of the game in terms of your success. The other elements? Writing, of course, and giving back to the author community.
- Pamela's free strategy: giving away books is an amazing way to get those crucial reviews. Pricing the first book in your series for free is a great way to get started. Read her blog post on this topic here.
- What she wishes she would have known when she started, including thoughts on exclusive programs, and why moving books in and out of various platforms hurt her more than the benefits of exclusive helped her.
- Pseudonyms. Pamela believes, “I don’t want to make it hard for someone who discovers me, to discover other things about my writing that they might like.” However, that might not apply for writers who work in vastly different and contradictory genres, like erotica vs children’s picture books.
- Hints about what's to come in Pamela's forthcoming novels.
Direct download: 20_Kobo_Writing_Life_Podcast_-_Episode_020.mp3
-- posted at: 12:20pm PDT