Aug 31, 2015
Episode 39 features the one
and only... Bella Andre! Bella is a
self-publishing superstar, one of the original KWL beta testers
when we started off in 2012, NYT and USA Today bestselling Romance
and New Adult author, and all-around lovely and fun person to talk
to. Christine Munroe hosts this episode and chats with Bella about
her publishing journey, including (listen up!) her secrets
for success. In this can't-miss episode, Christine and Bella
- The turning point in Bella's career in April 2010, when she put
eBooks up for sale and several days later checked and realized she
had sold several hundred copies.
- Her work creating the visual brand of Bella Andre. She recommends that
authors treat themselves like the bestseller they want to be. In
her case, that started with making her name prominent on her
- Bella's learn-by-doing approach, including creating her own
covers, which she does to this day.
- There is a great virtue in putting in blood, sweat, and tears
and understanding how to do everything yourself before passing it
off and outsourcing part of the publishing process.
- The origins of the pen names Bella Andre and Lucy Kevin.
- Her promise: she will never disappoint her readers.
- Bella's unique 7-figure, print-only deal with Harlequin
- Her translation partnership with KWL, creating French editions
of five Lucy Kevin titles.
- The opportunities Bella says no to - including a reality TV
- Why Bella enjoys collaborating with other authors (including
Melissa Foster and
Jennifer Skully), and her best advice for making a
collaborative relationship work: "always be nice."
- Will she ever run out of Sullivans? (Thankfully, no!)
At the end of the episode, Christine catches up with KWL
Director Mark Lefebvre. They discuss why it's so important for
authors to network with retailers - from the very beginning, Bella
impressed Mark and he wanted to help her succeed on Kobo. They also
talk about KWL's recent third
birthday and the most exciting new projects we have in the
works for our authors.
Thanks for listening!